Friday, June 5, 2009

Mellberg set for talks over Juve future


Former Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg is set to hold talks over his future at Juventus following the arrival of Fabio Cannavaro.

The Sweden international moved to Turin last summer on a free transfer but, with Cannavaro having joined fellow Italy internationals Giorgio Chiellini and Nicola Legrottaglie at the club, it appears Mellberg may have limited opportunities.

Villa as well as Greek side Olympiacos are reported to be interested in Mellberg and the 31-year-old says he wants to hold talks with his current side to discover if he has a future.

“I haven’t heard anything really,” he said in Fotbolls Expressen.

“The last thing they said was that they will see us all for pre-season. That will be the case unless I hear something else from them.

“It is certainly clear that, either today or in the coming days, I will certainly talk to the club and the new coach to see what the plan is.

“It is truly inspiring to play at this level for one of the biggest clubs in the world and to have enjoyed good moments in the cup and Champions League.

“To play as many games as I have at this level has been great fun.

“But I like it best when I play all the time – I would have liked to have played even more.

“That is always the ambition, and I must work as hard as possible to do that.

“However, now that Cannavaro has signed, I have to compete with three Italy internationals in the centre, so it is clear that it will be tough.”

www.setanta.com

No comments: