Friday, July 31, 2009

Diego: "Our Objective Is Victory"


The adventure in black and white of Diego Ribas de Cunha could not have a better start. The Brazilian, who made his debut yesterday against Seongnam took control of the game after a few minutes, gave some brilliant prescise passes and topped it all up with a fantastic goal. He definitely lived up to the great expectations: :

"It was a special goal which I hope was the first of many. I think it was a perfect evening for me, because after two months without playing I managed to win and score. I am very happy. Obviously, I still have to improve but I will manage through work".

What struck people most of Diego’s match was the way he clicked nearly perfectly with Vincenzo Iaquinta:

"When we speak of our attackers, we’re speaking of four high level players. With time I will learn how to understand their movements and where they prefer to receive the ball. Our scheme is similar to the one I played in Germany. Yesterday I felt well in that position. This system is perfect for me".

With regards to possible competition with Del Piero, Diego immediately cleared the situation:

"I am not here to compete with Del Piero. I am here to do my job and win myself space. Del Piero is one of the best players in the world and deserves great respect from all. He is a special player. My objective is to win. Personally, I don’t care who takes the free-kicks or who scores".

After having seen Diego at work, more people are convinced about the potential of this Juventus:

"It is one of the strongest teams in the world, part of the elite of football. It can win any trophy and that is why I am here. I feel well here, both with my mates and with the technical staff who are treating me with great affection and I can only improve".

The first objective has already been declared: beating Real in the semi-final and taking the Peace Cup home:

"We are not in the ideal form yet, but the match against Real Madrid will be special as always. We will play to win because our objective is winning the tournament".

The match against Real evokes the Champions League and Diego does not hold back on the subject:

"It is impossible for a team like Juve to take part in a tournament simply to participate. With the investments it made and the players it has it must always try to win. This is our mentality. Everybody is awaiting Juventus and we must be conscious of this. The Champions League is an objective, a difficult one true, but we must work to win it".

He is ambitious but with his feet firmly on the ground. Diego wants to help Juventus to win but is not seeking personal success:

"The golden ball is not one of my objectives. Those are things that come slowly. A career is made up of many steps and I want to concentrate on the first: playing well, helping Juventus and winning. The world cup is another great objective of mine. Up to now I have never taken part in one, but to do so I have to do well with Juventus and I am 100% concentrated on this. We must try to win and the rest will follow by default".

Juventus.com

No comments: