Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Italy Legend Antognoni Tells Melo: Reject Juventus

Giancarlo Antognoni - Italy '82

Italy legend Giancarlo Antognoni, who won the 1982 World Cup and spent most of his career with Fiorentina, has told Viola ace Felipe Melo to reject a proposed move to Juventus.

Reports suggest the Bianconeri are ready to make a bid for the much sough-after Brazilian who is also wanted by Arsenal. Melo claimed he was happy in Florence and that it was the club's decision as to whether to keep him or sell up. Viola legend Antognoni has now told the Brazilian that rejecting the Bianconeri is not difficult, as he did it during his day.

"Melo? Yes, you can say no to Juventus. And it was not difficult as it can sometimes seem from the outside," the former midfielder told Il Corriere Fiorentino.

"I was 24 and I had just come back from the World Cup in Argentina (1978). I had big ambitions and wanted to win, but I decided [not to join Juventus] when I spoke about it with my wife. She agreed with me."

Football has changed plenty since then, and despite Antognoni's advice, it's down to Melo and Fiorentina to consider his future.

Salvatore Landolina, Goal.com

No comments: