Monday, June 15, 2009

Tiago: 'Serie A doesn't suit me'



Tiago Mendes admits he is not cut out for Juventus or Serie A, so he is seeking a move elsewhere this summer.

The Portuguese midfielder has been something of a flop in his two seasons in Turin and the time has come for him to move on.

“I have a contract that ties me to Juventus until 2012, but in football you never know,” he told Portuguese media Maisfutbol.

“French football does not receive much publicity, but I was happy there. Obviously the Premier League is right up there, but Italian football is very tactical and does not suit my characteristics.

“A return to Portugal would also be a nice option, as I have never won the title in my homeland and given the opportunity I’d like to achieve that dream.”

Juventus paid £10m for Tiago two years ago and are highly unlikely to get back that sum of money by selling him on now.

The former Chelsea and Olympique Lyonnais player seemed very slow and sluggish in Serie A, struggling to come to terms with the style of football.

The Bianconeri are already eyeing up replacements, as an offer for Udinese’s Gaetano D’Agostino has stalled, so Lazio midfielder Cristian Ledesma is another alternative.

channel4.com/football_itali

No comments: